Renewable and stable energy source
More than 50% of all the world's energy is lost as low temperature heat. The Climeon Heat Power system generates clean electricity from that heat, it is waste heat recovery - but at low temperatures. The heat is typically dumped into our oceans, atmosphere or flows through the chimneys of production sites, why not use it?
The animation below illustrates the simplified cycle of a Climeon Heat Power module.
The heat, from geothermal sources, industrial waste heat or power production, is fed to the Climeon unit. Inside the Climeon unit a heat exchanger transfers the heat to an internal fluid, which vaporizes due to its lower boiling point. The vapors are then expanded over a turbine to run a generator and produce electricity.
The working fluid at the exit of the turbine is condensed by direct contact with cooled fluid in a condensation vessel. A small fraction of the fluid at the exit of the condensation vessel is directed to the hot side heat exchanger. The rest is circulated through the cold side heat exchanger where the unused heat is rejected to cooling water.
The now cooler heat source is either re-injected into the reservoir for geothermal heat or sent back to the industrial process.
Efficient, economical, profitable
The Climeon Heat Power units are designed to take maximum advantage of low temperature heat, from geothermal or industrial waste heat sources.
The Climeon Heat Power system can operate at double the efficiency of other low temp solutions at a lower cost. This is due to the engineering of the unit which utilizes low pressure, a custom turbine, modularity, and remote control and monitoring.
The low pressure at which the unit operates enables all components and fittings to be small, resulting in a more compact design and lower cost. The low pressure requires less energy needed for pumping resulting in a higher net power output. Lastly, the low pressure allows for a greater pressure ratio over the turbine, for the Climeon unit, this is typically around 6.
The custom turbine was designed specifically for the Climeon process and working fluid by Deprag. The specificity allows for optimal efficiency, integration and reliability. Remote control and monitoring allows for optimization anywhere at any time. Remote control and monitoring also allows for easy troubleshooting and instant support.
Want to find out more?
Please download our technicals specifications and Heat Power booklet below:
Flexible and scalable design
The system's low pressure levels allows a compact and modular design, making it easily scalable from smaller installations for space-limited areas such as machine rooms, up to several 50 MW systems for larger installations. The modularity allows for the Climeon system to scale with demand and availability. This allows for simple pilot projects that can easily be expanded to fully utilize all available heat.
Climeon Live is a cloud based subscription software which is the control system for the Climeon Heat Power system, and which also includes a range of add-on cloud-based applications. Each separate module in a Climeon Heat Power system has multiple sensors providing the software with precision measurements and large amounts of data.
Climeon Live offers a number of key benefits:
- Continuous monitoring and advanced analytics enable finely tuned optimisations for enhanced performance. The results are higher conversion efficiency and lower CO2 emissions.
- The software provides real-time system information and reports. Recorded data is used for historical performance reporting and trend analysis. The data can be accessed by users via computers and mobile devices.
- Data gathered from the globally installed base are analysed and used for automatic software updates It allows Climeon to optimise the performance of every installed module globally, based on the data from each module's unique operating conditions.
- Proactive monitoring of the system can identify potential faults before they occur. This enables the Climeon Heat Power system to operate around the clock, seven days a week, with only two days of planned maintenance every year.
- Customers can integrate Climeon's solution into their existing control- and monitoring systems using the Climeon Live application programming interface (API).
Integrating the Climeon unit to existing facilities is simple. The only connections are the hot and cold supply and the electrical system. A detailed overview can be seen in the video below.